Saturday, October 21, 2006


I don't know if any of you others noticed that nearly everyone that spoke up at Dad's birthday party mentioned something about his hands. It's interesting how much you can tell about someone by observing their hands. Even hand shakes can tell you alot about a person. I teach the adult sunday school class at our church and we're talking about how salvation does more than just provide forgiveness of sin and freedom from the penalty of it. It changes (or at least should change) the way that we look at and respond to the social injustices in the world. Our hands may be folded in thankful prayer to God for the salvation that we have graciuosly received from Him, but do they come the the aid of the poor and homeless of not only our own neighborhood but around the world. Do they intervene in situations where the weak and helpless are being abused, misused or even slaughtered (abortion). Jesus, when referring to the tongue, said that blessing and cursing were often spoken by the same person. This is not right. But do our hands do any different? With them we freely accept the blessings and gifts that come to us - often undeserved - but when confronted with the opportunity to help those who are less fortunate than we are, they often close up tight. This picture is of Dad's and Ashley's hands. I think we can all say that Dad's hands were one's that were often bruised and bleeding from the hard work and sacrafice that was made for others, especially his family. I hope that one day I might be remembered for my hands and that they were filled with compassion, caring, and justice for the less fortunate.

This is just one of the things that God is challenging me with.
Abe

10 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I love the pictuer, Abe. I, too, hope that I will be remembered for what my hands have done for others. Thanks for provocing our thoughts and challenging us to be better people.

5:07 PM, October 22, 2006  
Blogger Margaret said...

Man, I'm not much for spelling and talking on the phone at the same time. I meant picture not pictuer. And provoking not provocing. Mom called while I was reading so I couldn't concentrate.

5:12 PM, October 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Abe! I couldn't agree more. I think we can all be challanged to reach out more to the people around us. You don't have to travel around the world to find a needy person. They live in our neighbourhoods right under our noses, sometimes they are in our family, yet somehow we are so busy with our own lives, we don't even see. Thanks for sharing this. It has also challenged me :)

10:32 PM, October 22, 2006  
Blogger John said...

Just cause you don't have a pulpit, doesn't mean the words have left. Good stuff.
Especially now that I have Grandchildren I wonder sometimes how I will be remembered, and if I will be thought of the same way that Dads grandkids think of him. Big shoes, big shoes.

7:03 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Carol said...

What a wonderful picture. I have always been amazed at the size of Dad's hands, and now I can also see them in a different light.

10:49 AM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abe, tell your kids that I can no longer comment on thier blogs but hopefully will be doing another blog really soon. I have checked them though every day and I see that Matthew has posted a bunch of pictures which I did look at. He could try sharing a few personal tidbits of info for all of us who wonder what he likes and does (other than obsess about cars)

5:04 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Margaret said...

I didn't know Matthew had a blog. Where do I find it?

6:46 AM, October 27, 2006  
Blogger Abe&Maggie said...

Hey Margaret, I think Matt's blog is camaromaniac. You can try that and see what happens. If you have any problems let me know and i will check with him. It's mostly just pictures of cars but you might enjoy them.

6:00 PM, October 27, 2006  
Blogger Margaret said...

I did a search under that and didn't find it. You should get him to comment on your blog from his blog and then I could just click on his name in the comments list.

6:37 AM, October 28, 2006  
Blogger musclecardude said...

Hey Auntie Margaret, my profile name is musclecardude,with no spaces or capitals. oh and it's just mostly cars, but there are some pictures of me when I was younger.

4:40 PM, October 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home